1. Home
  2. /
  3. Case Study
  4. /
  5. Damp & Mould eradicated in Social Housing property
Damp & Mould eradicated in Social Housing property

Damp & Mould eradicated in Social Housing property

Rainbow International’s Swindon branch received an instruction from Swindon Council’s environmental department.

The tenant had been complaining of health problems and was blaming it on the toxic mould. The occupants were becoming increasingly anxious following research on the internet and they thought they had a patch of “House eating mould” as they explained it, growing in the kitchen making it unusable to prepare food.

The family were increasingly anxious as they had a young baby. Rainbow attended on-site to diagnose the cause and assess the danger to the occupants.

The property was a two bedroomed flat on the 12th floor of an older high rise block of flats. Three reasons for the damp in the flat were identified, the contamination was evident as condensation was apparent on the windows, black mould to outside corners of all the rooms and wet patches over the kitchen sink with a bloom of orange mushroom type mould.

The high levels of humidity in the flat was caused by;

  • Leaking windows
  • The internal drying room for the block was next door and there was high humidity in the corridor and wicking through the party wall
  • A washing machine in the flat above had leaked which had caused water to seep through into the ceiling of the kitchen.

Samples of mould were analysed and proved to be safe, with results reported back to the tenants and council officers. The black mould was identified as Aspergillus Niger and the orange was Penicillin. Although being unpleasant neither are poisonous.

After the report, the building issues were dealt with by the maintenance department and we gave advice to the tenant on how to clean off the mould as and when it might return.